News

Roads Minister Angry Over First Sky Construction’s ‘Go Slow’ Performance

…As 17km Tema-Dawhenya Road Construction Delays

The Minister of Roads and Highways, Governs Kwame Agbodza, has expressed frustration over the slow pace of work on the 17-kilometre Tema-Dawhenya stretch of the Tema-Aflao Road.

According to the Minister, little progress has been made on the project since his last inspection of the site four months ago.

He has consequently directed the contractors, First Sky Construction and BHM, to accelerate work on the road to ease the difficulties faced by commuters.

Mr Agbodza made the comments on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, when he inspected some government road projects under the Big Push programme in the Greater Accra Region.

During the inspection, the Minister expressed concern about the limited activity on the Tema-Dawhenya stretch and questioned why significant progress had not been made on a project covering only 17 kilometres.

“This road is just about 17 kilometres. Right from the beginning, I get the impression that contractors do not intend to do the work because I don’t see any activity,” he said.

Mr Agbodza noted that the work observed at the site appeared to be limited mainly to the construction of a small culvert and preparations for a diversion.

He said while diversions could facilitate construction, they should ultimately lead to actual work on the road.

“We can’t leave four months and come back, and I can’t see much work going on here,” Mr Agbodza said.

Responding to the Minister’s concerns, a representative of First Sky Construction explained that the original work programme had divided the project into three sections.

He said the contractor initially planned to commence work from the Kpong Barrier to Savannah before moving to the other sections.

However, upon arriving on site, the contractor realised that the road needed to be worked on continuously to raise it to formation level and address the traffic situation.

He said this necessitated a change to the initial work programme.

The contractor also explained that the different components of the project carried different weightings, meaning that activities that had not yet commenced affected the overall progress percentage.

When the Minister asked what work had been undertaken during the four-month period, the contractor said the company had been constructing box culverts and other cross-drainage structures.

“We are doing concrete work. So, we are building box culverts for now — the cross drainage,” he said.

The Minister’s inspection forms part of efforts to monitor the progress of major road projects under the government’s Big Push programme and ensure that contractors deliver within agreed timelines

 

Related Articles

Back to top button